Tuesday, February 12, 2008

http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/all-day-i-hear-the-noise-of-waters/ (page 158 IP)
I choose to read and analyze James Joyce's "All day I hear". I believe the poem is about a person who is sucidal, comparing his montone and depressing state to the cold wind and the ocean. The persona is the author speaking as himself or someone else, and the tone is saddening. I believe it is about a sucidal person (who wants to drown himself), reason being the poems says "The gray winds, the cold winds are blowing/Where I go./I hear the noises of many waters/Far below". ("All day I hear" 158). The lines "Where I go" and "Far below" imply a sense of leaving ("All day I hear" 158). Also, even the title itself, 'All day I hear', implies a dull, monotone, constant routine of something negitive. I think the person lives by the ocean, as the whole poem is about the 'moaning' water and the 'sad' seagulls; even by these adjectives, one can tell the speaker is of a somber state of mind. As a side note, lines two, four and six all have exact end rhymes, of which two and four are masculine. Lines 8, 10 and 12 rhyme as well, with lines 8 and 12 being masculine. The poem has an imabic pentameter.

1 comment:

jennie10 said...

This poem could be about a depressed man who is wasting his life away by the sea. Normally, when a person sees birds, they laugh or smile. In this poem, the speaker compares himself to being as "Sad as the sea-bird is, when going / Forth alone"(line 3-4). Reader's know the man is alone and obviously has no one to talk to. The imagery of the water "Making moan"(line 2) gives the feeling of sadness. The waves could be a symbol of opportunities or people who have come crashing down on him.